How to upgrade firmware of Arduino SIM808 Shield
Updating firmware of SIM808 BT function
The SIM808 GSM/GPRS/GPS/Bluetooth module from SIMCOM offers a lot of features like,SD card interfacing, GSM/GPRS functionality,GPS functionality, Bluetooth functionality, FM etc.. In most cases a firmware update is required to avail these features. This post is intended to give an idea about how to update the firmware of SIM808 modules that let it have a Bluetooth functionality.
Click here to purchase SIM808 GPRS/GSM+GPS Shield
- Note： Some version of SIM808 Module can't upgrade BT firmware that can only use the GPRS and GPS function.
What you need
- 1.Elecrow SIM808 GSM/GPRS/GPS Shield
- 2.USB Serial Adapter (either USB to TTL or USB to RS232)
- 3.SIMCOM series download tool.(Click Here to Download)
- 4.A new firmware file to upload to the modules.(Click Here to Download)
- 1. Connect the SIM808 shield to the computer using the USB to Serial device.Here I use a USB Serial Adapter (based on RS232 ). There is no need to power on the sim808 shield right now.
- 2. Now open the download tool.You should run the tool as administrator. The tool will be inside the folder as shown below
- 3.When you open the tool you will get a window like below. I have tested this tool with a SIM 800 modem. You can choose the modem type from the Target box (Marked as 1) . Depending upon the target the window may vary.
Details of the select boxes
- 1.Target: Choose the target to which the firmware is to be uploaded. Here I choose SIM808
- 2.Port Type: Since we are updating the firmware through the UART pins of SIM808 module choose UART. There is another option USB, which can be used to update the firmware through the debug UART port (which obviously we are not selecting).
- 3.Now select the COM port to which the IM808 module is connected. You can check this under device manger\ports. (While I was testing, this port number appeared in the tool only when I did run it as administrator).
The A6 GPRS/GSM Shield, like any other well designed shield, is stackable as shown in the photo below.And connect Arduino to PC by using a USB cable.
- 4.Choose the baud rate as 115200.
- 5.Now select the firmware file to be uploaded. Click the image folder button and browse to the location of the firmware file.
Now open the file selected. Now a set of files gets listed in the window in the middle of the tool. (In my figures files are already listed because I have tested this software already.)
- 6.In this box, you can choose the erase type. Either you can erase the source code only or you can erase both the source code and user data.
- 7.Now press the “Start Download” button
- 8.You will see the timer, left to the “Start Download” button begins.
- 9.Turn ON the sim808 shield now if it is OFF or Restart it. (This is very important. You have to restart the sim808 shield after pressing the “Start Download” Button. Then only the firmware updating process begins). And you can see the progress bar moving.
- 10.Now wait for some time. The updating process takes a few minutes to complete. And the progress bar changes colour in between the updating process. Once the update process is completed the timer will stop. Then you can press the exit button to close the tool.